European recycling equipment and technology provider Tomra has expressed support for plans announced by the United Kingdom Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to introduce a wide-ranging deposit-return scheme (DRS) for beverage containers.
According to Tomra, “DEFRA has revealed the scope of its deposit-return scheme (DRS) plans for England, Wales and Northern Ireland in its recently published extended producer responsibility (EPR) consultation response – and leading reverse vending company Tomra Collection UK and Ireland has welcomed its approach.”
According to Tomra, DEFRA and the Welsh government are “following Scotland’s lead” with their intention to introduce an “all-in” DRS for Wales, England and Northern Ireland. That means the system will apply to single-use and multipack drinks containers ranging from 50 milliliters to 3 liters in size.
In England and Northern Ireland, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic drink bottles and metal beverage cans will be included in the system. In Wales, glass drink bottles also will be included, which Tomra says is in line with Scotland’s scheme due to launch in August 2023.
“We welcome these new updates from DEFRA’s consultation, which take us all one step further to closing the loop on single-use beverage containers,” says Truls Haug, managing director for Tomra Collection UK & Ireland.
Adds Haug, “We look forward to working with the appointed scheme operators, retailers and other return point operators to support a convenient and efficient scheme for consumers and all stakeholders. Tomra has global experience in offering a range of solutions for all sizes of return points, including glass collection as needed.”
Latest from Recycling Today
- First PET Recycling Coalition grants announced
- Exodus Global announces promotion
- Li-Cycle reports earnings, Rochester facility updates
- Nucor sees reshoring boosting demand for steel
- Fontaine Modification targets driver comfort in waste collection sector
- American Battery Technology Co. hires key leadership for recycling plant
- Packaging Corp. of America reports Q4, full-year results
- NexKemia acquires assets of polystyrene scrap recycler Eco-Captation