The Paper Stock Industries (PSI) Chapter of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI), Washington, held its most successful annual fundraising bowling tournament to date Oct. 17 at Lucky Strike Chicago.
The event, which raises money to support PSI’s academic scholarship fund, earned enough to allow the chapter to give $2,000 scholarships to eight students next year, matching its 2018 scholarship record, PSI reports.
The bowling tournament featured 12 five-person teams, with “Quilmington Paper”—a team of participants from Wilmington Paper Corp., Pine Brook, New Jersey, and Quincy Recycle, Alsip, Illinois, taking top honors.
The winning team—Stuart Lurie, Kurt McLaughlin, John Danker, Brett Lurie and Phil Bellafiore—posted a single-game team score of 698.
This year’s event also raised funds through corporate sponsorship and individual registrations for the tournament’s networking and other activities, such as billiards.
PSI thanks the following sponsoring companies:
- Signature sponsors, Waste Management and WestRock;
- Scholarship sponsors, Consolidated Scrap Resources Inc., FireRover, Fr. Meyer’s Sohn, GP Harmon Recycling, National Fiber, PADNOS, Potential Industries Inc. and Sonoco;
- Bar sponsors, Caraustar, CellMark, Combined Resources Inc., GDB International Inc., Miami Waste Paper, Mid America Paper Recycling, Pratt Industries and Quincy Recycle;
- Bar and lane sponsors, Balcones Resources and RMC;
- Lane sponsors, Friedman Recycling Cos., GT, Harris, Midland Davis Corp., Pratt Industries, Recycling Today Media Group, Storelli Recycling Co., Van Dyk Recycling Solutions and Wilmington Paper Corp./Recycling Management Systems;
- Snack sponsors, Fibre Trade Inc., Great Lakes Recycling, Pioneer Industries International and Texas Recycling Inc.; and
- Trophy sponsors, Dixie Pulp & Paper Inc. and Western Pacific.
“These scholarships have the potential to change lives and PSI sincerely thanks every individual and company that made this event such a resounding success,” says Scholarship Committee Chair Nini Krever of Wilmington Paper Corp.
Latest from Recycling Today
- Maersk results demonstrate shipping sector’s health
- Midwest Fiber Recycling partners with Amp in MRF update
- Baltimore city officials call for raises for sanitation workers amid staffing shortage
- Call2Recycle, Electronic Distributors International Inc. expand Ontario’s battery recycling infrastructure
- Cruz Foam's new packaging products to become available through Atlantic Packaging partnership
- FleetGenius launches Compactor Solutions website
- LyondellBasell, Kirkbi invest in APK to develop recycling technology
- Washington lawmakers consider recycling overhaul legislation