Association presents Bill Willis of Grossman Iron and Steel with inaugural Safe Driver of the Year Award.
According to ISRI, the Safe Driver of the Year Award recognizes drivers who have driven a commercial vehicle for at least 20 years without incurring a preventable accident.
“Given their valuable contributions to the U.S. economy and the sacrifices they make to perform their jobs, truck drivers deserve any and all recognition they receive,” says Commodor Hall, ISRI transportation safety manager. “For more than three decades, Bill Willis has been transporting goods in a safe and reliable manner and he truly exemplifies the many truck drivers who keep America’s roadways safe.”
To be considered for the Safe Driver of the Year Award:
- Nominations may be submitted only by ISRI members in good standing.
- Nominees must be full-time employees whose primary responsibility is to operate a commercial motor vehicle.
- Nominees must be current employees of the nominating member company and must be employed for at least one year (12 consecutive months).
- Nominations must be made by someone familiar with the nominee’s work history.
- No more than three drivers may be nominated from the same member company.
- Nominees must meet the minimum requirement of 20 years of verifiable employment as a commercial motor vehicle driver without a preventable accident.
Other criteria taken into account are the driver’s contribution to highway safety (driver trainer), letters of appreciation, deeds of heroism on or off-the-job and civic and fraternal organizations.
“Bill was twice the recipient of the Grossman Iron and Steel Co. Driver of the Year Award in 2000 and 2006,” says the company’s Transportation Manager Kevin Speis, “The award criteria is very stringent, including a safe driving record, perfect attendance and no injuries and a work ethic that positively separates him from his peers. Bill’s tenure with our longest running dedicated account is a testament to his professionalism and his dedication to superior customer service. He is well deserving of the ISRI Driver of the Year Award.”
Joseph Cortinez of Behr Trucking Co., Rockford, Ill., and Dale Corban of PSC Metals-Garn, Wooster, Ohio, where honored with second and third place awards, respectively.