Association highlights its members' commitment to fleet safety during 2014 convention.
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI), Washington, D.C., has announced the winners of its second annual Vehicle Safety Awards, which recognize the association’s top members for their commitment to the safety of employees and the general public.
The winners were announced during the ISRI 2014 Convention & Exposition, held in Las Vegas, April 6-10.
The awards were broken out into two categories: Best Fleet and Pacesetter.
The Best Fleet Award was presented to ISRI members in each of three class sizes with the lowest vehicle accident rate and the lowest U.S. Department of Transportation recordable accident rate in 2013.
The Pacesetter Award, also awarded in to companies of various fleet sizes, is granted to the ISRI member company using the same criteria as the Best Fleet Award but covering a three-year period, in this case Jan. 1, 2011, to Dec. 31, 2013.
Those honored were:
2013 Best Fleet Award Small Fleet (300,000 to 500,000 miles):
- General Metals of Tacoma Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc., Tacoma, Wash.
- Metals Recycling LLC, Schnitzer Northeast, New York
- Berman Brothers Inc., Jacksonville, Fla.
2013 Pacesetter Award Small Fleet (300,000 to 500,000 miles):
- Berman Brothers Inc.
2013 Best Fleet Award Intermediate Fleet (500,001 to 1 million miles):
- Consolidated Scrap Resources Inc., York, Pa.
- Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc., Portland, Ore.
- Grossman Iron and Steel Co., St. Louis
2013 Pacesetter Award Intermediate Fleet (500,001 to 1 million miles):
- Consolidated Scrap Resources Inc.
2013 Best Fleet Award Medium Fleet (greater than 1 million to 5 million miles):
- Metal Exchange Corp., St. Louis
- Schupan and Sons Inc.; Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Tennessee Valley Recycling LLC, Decatur, Ala.
2013 Pacesetter Award Medium Fleet (greater than 1 million to 5 million miles):
- Metal Exchange Corp.
2013 Best Fleet Award Large Fleet (greater than 5 million miles):
- OmniSource Transport LLC, Fort Wayne, Ind.
2013 Pacesetter Award Large Fleet (greater than 5 million miles):
- OmniSource Transport LLC, Fort Wayne.
“Through rigorous driver training, accident prevention and vehicle maintenance programs these award-winning companies are setting the bar high ensuring America’s roads are safe for all motorists,” said Commodor Hall, ISRI transportation safety manager. “Each winner runs through a demanding selection process in order to prove they are among the safest on the road. We are fortunate to have a strong field of contenders in our industry and look forward to close competition for years to come.”