UK organizations, local authorities, community groups and individual recycling pioneers were honored at the Awards for Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management 2014. The annual ceremony, organised by Environment Media Group and the website letsrecycle.com, took place May 1 at the Landmark Hotel in London.
The organizer reports that this year’s event received the largest number of entries to date, up 44 percent from 2013. The event was hosted by Julie Etchingham, a news anchor with ITV. Representatives from the sponsor organizations of each category revealed the winners of the 11 award categories.
Etchingham announced that the panel of judges, chaired by John Woodruff, chairman of the National Association of Waste Disposal Officers and head of waste services at the London Borough of Bromley, selected these winners:
- Zero Waste Platinum Award sponsored by SAICA Natur and Wastecare: KP Snacks, Hayes
- Retail Recycling Champion with charity partner, British Heart Foundation: Westfield Stratford City in partnership with Wastesolve
- Circular Economy Success sponsored by Brocklesby: ECO Plastics, Lincolnshire
- Waste Management Initiative in the Commercial and Public Sector sponsored by Taylor: Marks & Spencer in partnership with Helistrat
- Design of a Waste Management Facility sponsored by Recycling Registration Service in association with the Environmental Services Association: Calder Vale Road Household Waste and Recycling Centre, Wakefield Council
- Best Community Recycling Initiative sponsored by DHL Envirosolutions: Bulky Bob’s Crisis Furniture Scheme, Liverpool
- Recycling Business of the Year sponsored by Ceris Burns International: The William Tracey Group, Glasgow
- Collection Crew of the Year sponsored by Geesinknorba: RC8, Croydon Council
- Civic Amenity Site of the Year sponsored by Repic: Northwich Household Waste Recycling Centre, Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Best Local Authority Recycling Initiative sponsored by Aylesford Newsprint: Belfast Inner City Recycling Initiative, Belfast City Council
- Local Authority Recycling Champion sponsored by Biffa: Jessica Bunker, London Borough of Ealing
“The event proved an exciting day and gave a chance for all guests to reflect on the recycling and waste management progress that has been achieved over the past 12 months,” observed Steve Eminton from Environment Media Group. “The standard of entries this year — our 11th Awards for Excellence celebration — was undoubtedly the highest we’ve ever seen. We sincerely congratulate every organization and individual who was acknowledged as a 2014 finalist, because that is an incredible achievement in itself. The judges had a very difficult task selecting the winners.
“But those winners deserve great praise for their achievements," Eminton continued. "They have proved an unswerving commitment to the UK’s sustainability agenda and a forward-thinking approach to ensuring long-term recycling and waste management success. I look forward to seeing what further developments unfold between now and our 2015 Awards for Excellence campaign.”
To find out more about the Awards for Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management, visit www.awardsforexcellence.co.uk.