The Recycling Today Media Group, a business unit of GIE Media Inc., Valley View, Ohio, and publisher of Recycling Today
The Recycling Today Media Group also hosts the MRF & Recycling Plant Operations Forum Oct. 9-10 at the same venue in cooperation with RRT Design and Construction, Melville, New York. The forum, which begins with a networking reception the evening of Oct. 9, is designed for those seeking to optimize their plants, whether they process single-stream or dual-stream recyclables, mixed waste or C&D materials.
In its second year, the MRF & Recycling Plant Operations Forum targets plant managers, maintenance managers, regional managers, owners, consultants, engineers, government officials, equipment suppliers and anyone else who is interested in better understanding plant operations and technology.
Registration rates for the forum are designed to be cost-effective, with special discounts available for multiple attendees from the same organization. Those who attend the forum and the PPRC receive even greater discounts.
The PPRC begins with a series of workshops Wednesday, Oct. 11, that start at 1:30 p.m. and
The workshops are followed by the keynote session, Executive Roundtable: The Future of Recycling, that begins at 4 p.m. This executive-level discussion explores the future of residential and commercial recycling by discussing changes affecting collection streams, service fees and the quality of recyclable commodities. Speakers also look at how to bring difficult-to-recycle or nontraditional materials into the recycling stream, sustainability initiatives and the future of disposal in North America.
A variety of sessions are scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 12:
- From 8:30 to 10 a.m., Processing Plant of the Future examines what future processing plants will look like and how they will function. This session examines new and evolving technologies and how they might affect plants of the future.
- From 10:30 a.m. to noon, the Paper Stock Industries (PSI) Chapter of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) updates attendees on the outcome of its meeting to discuss moisture levels in bales of recovered paper.
- From 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., The Changing Paper Industry explores what higher old corrugated containers (OCC) prices mean for consumers, the effects on mill operations and the future of the secondary fiber sector.
- Also from 1:30 to 2:30, panelists in the Plastics Mill Buyers session examine what drives the plastics recycling business and share their insights into where markets are headed.
- From 3 to 4 p.m., Postindustrial Plastics: Distribution Centers and Beyond provides an overview of the postindustrial plastics recycling landscape, focusing on various generating sectors and consuming markets.
- Also from 3 to 4 p.m., speakers during the session Smooth Sailing share their expertise on the latest happenings at seaports.
- From 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Export: ASEAN focuses on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region, with speakers highlighting how recycling markets there are doing today.
- Also from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., leaders whose recycling businesses are blooming speak during the session Smaller but Mighty.
Friday’s programming includes Export: National Sword, from 8:30 to 9:45 a.m., which looks at how China’s crackdown on contaminants in incoming loads of scrap has played out. The conference concludes with The Effect of E-commerce on Recycling from 10 to 11:15 a.m., in which panelists examine how closures of traditional retail outlets and associated distribution changes and the growth in e-commerce affect recycling markets from OCC to plastics.
The PPRC also features two evening cocktail receptions to get attendees and exhibitors mingling with one another. Lunch and breakfast also are provided in the exhibit hall.
Visit http://paperplasticsna.recyclingtodayevents.com for an up-to-date list of speakers, to access the complete agenda and to register.
Founded in 1980, GIE Media Inc. is a leading business-to-business media company operating in more than 20 industries. The company’s mission is to publish the highest quality business magazines, multimedia, e-newsletters, conferences, reference books and other forms of business media in growth industries with a quality standard based on editorial value and market leadership.