The Northeast Resource Recovery Association (NRRA), New Hampshire the Beautiful and the School Recycling Club presented more than 20 awards to towns, individuals and schools at the 33rd Annual Northeast Recycling Conference and Expo, held June 9-10, 2014, in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- city of Keene, New Hampshire; town of Lee, New Hampshire (tied), Most Programs through NRRA in 2013;
- town of Canaan, New Hampshire, NRRA’s 2014 Outstanding Recycling Facility Website;
- city of Concord, New Hampshire, NRRA’s 2014 Outstanding Recycling Brochure;
- city of Keene, New Hampshire, NRRA’s 2014 Best BOL “Bill of Lading”;
- town of Eliot, Maine, NRRA’s 2014 Composting Program of the Year;
- Rhonda Gurney, Sunapee, New Hampshire, NRRA’s 2014 Volunteer of the Year;
- George & Amy Naughton, Naughton Recycling, Bradford, New Hampshire, NRRA’s Business of the Year; and
- Dennis Patnoe, Lancaster, New Hampshire, 2014 Sami Izzo Recycler of the Year
- Thetford Elementary School, Thetford, Vermont, 2013 - 2014 Vermont School Recycler of the Yearl
- Weston Elementary School, Manchester, New Hampshire, 2013-2014 New Hampshire School Recycler of the Year;
- Olmsted-Richardson School, North Easton, Massachusetts, 2013-2014 Massachusetts School Recycler of the Year;
- Emma Campbell, Addy Harris and Abby Lliff, Robinson Elementary School, Starksboro, Vermont, 2013-2014 Vermont Student Recyclers of the Year;
- Lucas Schroeder, Oyster River School, Durham, New Hampshire, 2013-2014 New Hampshire Student Recycler of the Year;
- Amanda Patenaude, Newport Montessori School, Newport, New Hampshire, 2013-2014 New Hampshire Teacher of the Year;
- Kristen Blake, Johnson Elementary School, Natick, Massachusetts, 2013-2014 Massachusetts Teacher of the Year;
- Matt Charland, Mill Stream Elementary School, Norridgewock, Maine, 2013-2014 Maine Teacher of the Year;
- Paul O’Connell, Bridge Elementary School, Lexington, Massachusetts, 2013-2014 Facilities Staff Recycler of the Year;
- Bershire Trail Elementary School, Cummington, Massachusetts, 2013-2014 Best Composter Award;
- Stacy Anglace, Parent Volunteer, Woodman Park School, Dover, New Hampshire, 2013-2014 Outstanding Recycling Fundraiser;
- Vilas School, Langdon, New Hampshire, 2013-2014 Outstanding Community Involvement; and
- Bridgewater Middle School, Bridgewater, Massachusetts, 2013-2014 Rookie of the Year.
This year featured the Fifth Annual School Recycling Conference within the NRRA Conference at the Radisson Hotel in Manchester, New Hampshire. The conference and expo provided an opportunity for those interested in recycling and waste reduction to come together to discover new technologies, exchange ideas, share philosophies and further promote waste reduction efforts, says NRRA.
The two-day event included interactive and educational workshops on all aspects of the recycling and solid waste industry, school recycling programs and recycling education. The exposition hosted more than 60 vendors who provided information on their equipment and services.
The NRRA says it is a proactive, nonprofit cooperative working with its membership to make their recycling programs strong, efficient and financially successful. For more information, visit www.nrra.net.
Conference partners in 2014 included Earth Share New England, National Recycling Coalition Inc., New Hampshire the Beautiful, Northern New England Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) and MassRecycle.